Friday, June 8, 2012

Frugal Friday!


About once a month I make a whole chicken in the crockpot.  This is a great money saver because I can usually find a whole chicken for around $4 at walmart.  We can get 2 meals out of a whole chicken.  This time, I'm planning to make chicken noodles and chicken tacos.

6 months ago, I came across a blog where a lady made chicken broth so I tried it and LOVED the results!  I want to share it with you because it's fun and a money saver!  I took this recipe from http://thehappyhousewife.com/cooking/whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

First, Rinse the chicken and place it in a crock pot that has been sprayed with non-stick.  There is no need to put any liquid in the pot, just the chicken.  I usually sprinkle the chicken with pepper and paprika.

 isn't she pretty?  :)

Second, place the lid on the crock pot, set on low for 8 hours.  After the chicken has sat and cooled for a bit, I remove all the meat from the bones and shred it.


Do not throw away the liquid in the crock pot.

Third, put the bones back in the crock pot and add about five cups of water.  Set the crock pot on the low setting and cover. Let it cook overnight or 10 hours.  Strain out the bones and you have homemade chicken broth for free!  Not only is it free, it is free from all the preservatives, salt, and other junk you find in some of the store bought chicken broth.

Then put the broth in a container in the fridge to cool.  When the broth has totally cooled a layer of fat will be on the top.  Scrape the fat off with a spoon and the broth is ready to be used or can be stored for up to six months in the freezer.  I got about 50 ounces of broth from one chicken.

Now any time I am in need of chicken broth I have it handy for free!

Recipes I used and cost:

Chicken $7.26   I saw a whole chicken at walmart for $3.82 but decided to go organic for a couple dollars more since I would get 2 meals and chicken broth out of it.

Chicken and Noodles

48 oz of chicken broth  FREE (had it in the freezer from the last time I made a whole chicken)
served over mashed potatoes (2 large potatoes)  $1.76
can of green beans $0.67
1/2 of shredded chicken  (or you could use10 oz can chicken, drained)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced  (had this on hand, but I usually buy a bag of frozen diced onion for $1.50)
garlic powder to taste
12 oz package of extra wide egg noodles, uncooked $1.78

In large pot, combine broth, chicken, butter, onion and seasonings, simmer over medium heat for 10 min or until onion is tender.  Increase heat to boiling, add noodles and cook for 15 to 20 min or until noodles are tender.

  success!  

Chicken tacos:

1/2 of shredded chicken
packet of taco seasoning ($.034 at walmart)
taco shells ($1.12 at walmart)
served with lettuce, sour cream, tomato  ($3ish)

2 meals for under $20... and even closer to $15 if you don't go organic!!!



3 comments:

  1. Hey Brooke! I just have a quick question for you. Do you ever have a problem with getting chicken bones in the meat? I have tried the whole chicken in the crock-pot method (mainly because I wanted to make my own broth). Both times I did it, Ian ended up finding small bones in his meat :( If you have any tips on how to get the meat off without getting bones I would love to hear them! I love your frugal Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alissa!
    After I thought I got all the bones, I shredded it well and found 2 more. Then I searched to make sure there were no more. But I could definitely see how that would happen! But for the most part it fell off the bone well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brooke! I think I need to go slower next time I try it. We are moving back to the States in August and Ian is going to go to seminary full time. I am sure your frugal Fridays will be great for us!

    ReplyDelete